Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Letter to "Mike and Mike in the Morning.."

Okay, so after watching "Mike and Mike's" morning show and hearing what they had to say about "bloggers", I decided to post this. Vive la bloggers!!!

Hey Doublemint Twins,

Flipping the channels between ESPN and ESPN 2 while wolfing down a bowl of grits and toast, I heard Golie jokingly describe “bloggers” as “living in their basement with Mom.” Nearly choking on a spoonful of warm grits, I had an epiphany. What if everyone felt the way Golie did? Needless to say, I went about my day as usual but even the blazing South Florida sun could not shake this thought. I am currently working on my master's thesis in English, teach English courses as an adjunct instructor at a university, will graduate with an MA and a minor in history, and hope to be admitted to the University of Miami in the fall of 2010.

When my head isn’t buried in a book, I blog. After writing for the campus baseball newsletter, I wanted to try something different. Who cares if the the athletic gene went to everyone else in my family? I love sports and asking Kobe fans if “The Great Pretender” moniker fits him better. For Howard, I was thinking a nickname change to Cry Baby. (All in favor, say waaaaaah! Disagree now, but all I need is a catchy dance to make the nickname solid, like “Lemme see you do the Cry Baby, do the cry baby...…”). I already bet my brother that T.O. will make it through his one-year contract with the Bills sans cursing fellow teammates out on the sidelines. (Loser has to do 150 sit-ups outside of my apartment)!

I visit ESPN.com daily to read articles by Bill Simmons and others because it inspires me—not because I think I know more about the game than these writers. No, I’m inspired because after I have exhausted myself talking about sports, there is nothing better than to sit down and relive those unforgettable sports moments. As athletes give the outside world less and less access into their private lives, whether s/he lives in the basement with mom or is graduate student studying Bhabba’s notions of mimicry (secretly wishing she could become a full-time sports broadcast reporter), “bloggers” just want to connect. “Bloggers” are seeking connection to the sports world that is becoming more corporatized than ever before and about as personal as an annual Christmas card from your boss. Besides, if Jon Barry can guard a computerized Lebron, Carmelo, and Kobe, why can’t I write about sports?


Hmm, I'm still waiting for a response.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this.I'm personally not a blogger, but I definitely agree that someone can follow their dream (whatever it is), and doesn't necessarily have to be a bum while they are following their dream. Keep your head up, and hopefully one will see your dedication and commitment to the world of sports!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an old school laker fan from majic days. Nonetheless, Kobe is an awesome player not Jordan. He lacks leadership skills and does not have the killer instinct. Maybe college made a difference and Jordan had to prove himself, whereas Kobe was handed the golden platter he just had to maintain. Jordan, on the otherhand, was rejected in high school and had to prove himself in college. Jordan did not stop until he became the greatest. He is the face of the NBA forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of you are wondering if "sans" is a typo. It's not. "Sans" means without in French.

    ReplyDelete